Home, sweet home. That saying has never been more true than throughout this past year when we’ve all likely spent a little (a lot?) more time at home than usual. Along with some understandable cabin fever, home really is where the heart is. It can be a refuge as well as a place to share joy with family and friends. That means you want to make it as comfortable and beautiful as possible. Our DIY ideas can be used to spruce up your home and yard for summer and outdoor living.
You’ll be the envy of the block when you work with us to give a fresh look to the exterior of your home We’ve got what you need to create the following projects, which are just a few ideas to get you started.
- House numbers:
- We’ve got plenty of ready-made numbers in stock for you to choose from. Or pick up some of our 16 gauge base-plates to cut out your own numbers and shapes.
- Is it time for your mailbox to get a makeover? At DIY Steel, you can find the materials to create a unique — and secure — mailbox, whether wall- or post-mounted.
- Light fixtures:
- A more advanced project, but one that will make you feel accomplished when it’s done: create your own porch light fixtures to brighten your entryway.
- Door hardware:
- Take a look at your entry door handles and knobs, are they looking a little worn and ready to be replaced? Or maybe you want to make your own door knocker to express your personality. Bring in a photo of your doors and entryways and we’ll help you give them some new life.
- Window boxes:
- Colorful blooms are so eye-catching. Have you thought about making your own window boxes? Creating a window box (or porch planter) is a good beginner project. Using our solid stock and cut-outs, you can build wonderful window boxes that will cause everyone to take a second glance.
- Porch seating and tables:
- With our relatively mild Pacific NW weather that includes low humidity during the summer months, it’s a treat to be able to sit outdoors and relax. Come explore our materials to discover what you can use to make chairs, benches, porch swings and side tables.
- Gutters, downspouts, and rain catchers:
- While they might generally go unnoticed, if you step back and take an overview of your home, it may reveal the opportunity to replace your gutters and downspouts and even make your own rain catcher/chain. You’ll be surprised what a difference these items make to your home’s aesthetic when they are freshened up. We’ve got the materials and supplies you need to make decorative rain chains in whatever design you can envision.
Now that you’ve taken care of the front of your home, what about the yard? We’ve got a list of some projects below that you might want to give a try. And, for more inspiration, check out this link to The Spruce online.
- Lawn/garden edging:
- A nice neat edge on your lawn and planting areas looks so appealing. We’ve got flat ⅛ x 4” edging that can be used for that crisp look. Measure the areas you want to edge and then come in to pick up just what you need.
- Do an online search and you can find plenty of ideas for designing your own garden trellis. Imagine beautiful clematis, vine roses and sweet-smelling jasmine winding up your creation. You provide the vision and we’ll provide the materials.
- Landscape lighting:
- If you create some lighting for your front porch don’t forget about lights for your walkway or patio, too.
- Container gardens:
- Adding colorful blooms around your house is a sure way to spread some happiness and joy. Even better when they are planted in containers that you make yourself. With our solid stock, tubes, scrolls and cut-outs, imagine the amazing containers you can make for planting flowers, herbs and veggies.
- Outdoor art:
- Take your yard to the next level by making unique art. Whether a wall hanging or a stand-alone structure, the sky’s the limit when it comes to the pieces you can create. As you browse the materials we have in stock, let your imagination run wild as you envision your finished piece.
Both rain and sun can take a toll on your fence, deck and gate. A great way to update your home’s look is to refresh the perimeter. We can help you choose just the right items to replace — or add new:
- Deck rails
- Gate panels and hinges
- Fence scrolling
You’ve got the place looking great! Now, it’s time to invite friends, family and neighbors over for some fun. Here are a few ideas of the projects you might undertake to make your backyard THE place to be in the neighborhood.
- How about making your own picnic table? We can show you samples of what others have done so you can collect all the materials you need to make a table that is just right.
- Once the sun goes down, you can keep guests warm, create some ambience and maybe even make s’mores with a fire pit you’ve created yourself. Of course, we have some ready-to-assemble fire pits that you can purchase — or use as an inspiration to make your own.
- Food cooked outdoors always seems to taste just a little bit better. How about creating your own BBQ kettle or smoker? It’s an advanced project, but one we can offer both materials and guidance for as you embark on this ambitious adventure in DIY.
- And, for something really different, consider making some yard games. Think cornhole or croquet and you’ll be the champion of the ‘hood with the games you created yourself.
Late spring is a perfect time to get started on your home spruce-up projects. Then when summer gets into full swing, you’ll be able to sit back and enjoy all the fruits of your labors.